The recent rain and flood waters have wreaked havoc in Southern Louisiana, leaving many displaced from their homes and in need. Our outreach team is working to coordinate teams that can go and provide assistance with the relief efforts.
If you are able-bodied and would like to serve on a Highlands Disaster Relief Team in Louisiana please read over the following questions and complete the form at the bottom of the page. Please note that the relief teams will be working in hot, humid and wet conditions doing various types of labor and heavy clean up.
Who will our teams be working with?
- We are partnering with Bethany Church. Bethany Church is coordinating relief efforts, and their leaders will be directing our teams and giving our assignments.
Where will teams stay?
- Teams will be staying at Bethany Church. Teams will be sleeping on cots and possibly on the floor.
How will I know if I am assigned to a team?
- Once you have been assigned to a team, you will receive an email providing the name of your team leader and their contact information. The team leader will contact you regarding departure times and travel plans.
How will I know what to bring?
- Your team leader will let you know specific things you should bring. However, the following are some things you should pack: sunscreen, bug spray, extra socks, extra shoes that you may get wet or dirty, sleeping bag, twin-size blowup mattress, toiletries, hat, gloves and work clothes.
What food will be provided?
- Bethany Church will be feeding relief teams. However, team participants should come prepared to purchase some of their own meals.
How long are teams being deployed?
- Each team will be in the field approximately three days including travel time.
Is transportation provided?
- We are asking teams to carpool and ride together. If you have a large van or SUV that can hold several people, you may be asked to drive.
Can I bring donations?
Box fans, utility knives, pry bars, small heavy duty tarps, rubber boots, shovels, dust mask, work gloves, sponges, latex gloves, cleaning towels, scrub brush, heavy duty trash bags.
If you have any of these items to donate you can drop off donations marked “Highlands Disaster Relief” at Christian Service Mission located at 3600 3rd Ave S, Birmingham, AL 35222